English Translation Chinese Translation Chinese Translation Spanish Translation German Translation Japanese Translation French Translation Arabic Translation Greek Translation Italian Translation Korean Translation Hindi Translation Russian Translation Swedish Translation translation

Press release - £500 payment available for self-isolating Bolton residents on low incomes

Fri, 09/10/2020

Press release - £500 payment available for self-isolating Bolton residents on low incomes

Bolton residents, who are isolating because of Covid-19, may be able to claim a £500 support payment if they cannot work and face a loss of income.

Residents who have tested positive for the virus and who have been asked to isolate by the NHS Test and Trace service could qualify for the payment.

People who have been told to isolate by NHS Test and Trace because they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive could also be eligible.

The government has introduced the payments to help people on low incomes who could face financial hardship if they need to isolate.

Leader of Bolton Council, Cllr David Greenhalgh, said: “In order to get the current Covid-19 outbreak under control it is vital that people isolate when required to do so. Put simply: isolating helps us to slow transmission rates.

“We hope these grants will help people to get through the period of isolation if they are facing financial hardship.

“Isolating means people need to stay at home if they get symptoms, test positive or if they live with someone who tests positive – or if they are asked to do so by the Test and Trace service.

“We recognise that this can be hard for people, especially those on low incomes whose jobs mean they can’t work from home. We understand that it is a big ask, but it is vital people isolate when asked to do so.”

Who is eligible for the payment?

• You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or because you are the close contact of a positive case
• You are employed or self-employed
• You are in receipt of at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance or Pension Credit
• You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result

How do I apply?

Applications for the support payment can be made online via the Bolton Council website https://www.bolton.gov.uk/benefits/test-trace-payments/1

What is the law?

The law states that anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 must isolate for at least 10 days – while anyone they live with must isolate for 14 days.

Those identified as close contacts of positive cases, and asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace must also stay at home for 14 days.

People who do not comply could face a £1,000 fine from the police.

What other help is available if I am isolating?

The council’s Humanitarian Hub is available to help if you are isolating.

Please call 01204 337221 - the helpline is open from 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 1.30pm on Saturdays.


Salma Nakhuda, Media Team, Bolton Council. Tel: 01204 331015